Monday, December 13, 2010

Status Report

Don't have a big concept to report today aside from the fact that it is cold. It is really cold. Not as bad as it is in some other parts of the country, to be sure. There were some snowflurries, but they were nothing but show. So, a full day of school is in my future tomorrow.

Tonight I had a wonderful time at my friend Mark's Christmas party he holds each year for his school's staff. This year, as with several others, it was held at Maggiano's on Wisconsin Avenue, NW in DC. Very fun people. Great conversation. Fabulous food.

The best part was the "gift exchange" that takes place. It is one of those swaps with convoluted rules on who gets what selection and someone else can "steal" it during the next round of swaps and still make it to their car. The other years I was the consumate guest being polite and deferring to his school's teachers and staff with regard to wrestling for the high-end gifts. This year I attended with Mark's approval and insistence that I take my gloves off and go for the jugular. Yes, I stirred the pot and made no bones about going for the best items available. Yes, someone took them away from me. It was all good though and in all good fun.

At one point I had a Keureg coffee system (-5 for spelling). Another round found me the proud, and temporary, owner of a NanoPod thingy I'd certainly lose in less than 15 minutes. Actually, I think I "owned" that twice. At the evening's end I walked out with a tasty package of Godiva, a $25 Macy's gift card, a lovely seasonal floral arrangement, a valet parking ticket, and a full belly. Not too shabby for a cold Monday. I hope yours was half as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment