Thursday, October 15, 2009

SIGNS OF THE SEASON

CAKE WRECKS Click on this link or the one listed on the left with other blockbuster blogs.
  Okay, so I am starting out off topic. So what? Here is something that will make you smile. This link will take you to another very fun web site/blog I came across. Much like "Awkward Family Photos," this focuses on the wild errors that have been made with regard to professionally decorated cakes.  As the blogger states, she features professionally prepared cakes because it just isn't fair to draw attention to the errors made in the home.  Professionally trained bakers really should give us a certain level of confidence when we order these delightful taste treats.  Typos and lack of communication shouldn't make for flawed events...oh wait, we aren't talking about MY blog, this is Cake Wrecks.
     Please enjoy these cakes. They are the only ones I've found to be over the top tasty while absolutely zero calorie AND fat free.
     NOTE: With the advent of publishing JULIE AND JULIA, AWKWARD FAMILY PHOTOS, and now CAKE WRECKS, I have but one question:

WHEN THE *&^^%%^$^$ is mine going to be joining the ranks?   Just askin'. 
 

On with the Signs of the Season..............
Here I am in a local coffee lair advertising for my favorite football team: THE STEELERS.  This year they're doing well. Granted, in a nationally displayed selfless act of generosity, they have given others a chance to shine; however, I have no doubt that they'll complete the year making this fan proud. In the authentic vernacular, that would be pronounced "praaaaaad." Go Steeler Nation!
     The only down side I am having is knowing my sweetheart, Palamalu, is being forced to let that long hair of his be helmet free until he recovers.  He is missed. I am wearing black (and gold) in my heart until you return.  I ain't the same without yinz.


EDITORIAL CONTENT FOLLOWS:
       Hey folks, what the &*$% gives with our public manners and sense of decorum lately?  I get it that inconsiderate or rude or improper behavior has always plagued mankind and will remain a constant. What I am talking about it taking it to an aggressive, not assertive, level in public.  We have all seen the horrible aftermath of what occurs with displays when people are behind the wheel. With all the public service announcements (PSAs) over the last few years, it is unbelievable to me when I see drivers darting and weaving through traffic as if they are the only people on the road.  It makes me physically ill.
       Having been a pedestrian (or as my classmate Andrea pronounced it: ped-is-train) victim of hit and run when I was in first grade, I really wonder about how that person felt after hitting me and leaving me on the curb. My father received a radio message from the police dispatcher and raced to me.  When he arrived, I was being cocooned in a moving van quilt by a very good road-side Samaritan who promptly handed over my guardianship. Twenty-three days later I was cleared to return to school. I seemingly remember every split second of that time and I believe it will stay with me for my entire life.
     No doubt Taylor Swift will remember her encounter with Kanye West. What madness placed him on his own committee to determine award winners?  It took him way too long to apologize to this refined young lady. My hat is off to Taylor for how deftly she handled the entire situation. Now saying that, I feel it is required in the interest of full disclosure, to admit that I RARELY wear a hat. Regardless, it is a heartfelt WAY TO GO, TAYLOR!
     How about a joint meeting of Congress during a presidential address?  I DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN OR A DEMOCRAT, YELLING THAT SOMEONE IS A LIAR VIOLATES BEST PRACTICES.  Following closely, not admitting that you did something wrong comes in a close second to it. How about voting on the essence of  a good way to do business. Let's have a new House Rule: COLOR BETWEEN THE LINES.

     Years ago, my parents were living in Florida and had a long layover in Pittsburgh while traveling. My brother, Pat, went to the airport to enjoy their company. He and Dad were sipping on an adult beverage when their flight was announced (that is how long ago it was). My father was going to leave his drink there, even though it was a fresh one. Pat insisted that he could take it with him. Dad balked. "Dad, you're in Pittsburgh. You can kill someone as long as you clean up after yourself."  Case closed.
     Suffice it to say that public demeanor and how we treat each other is a critical part of living. People who aren't in control of their public self because of mental illness need special handling, but the rest of us need to pick up the pace.  We are all responsible for ourselves. Our public behavior converts to ripples on the pond of life echoing our statements long after we are personally silent. We need to model that for young ones and teach them by example.  It is an old sentiment, but we need to be the change we want in the world.  Sign on to this and take the pledge to brighten things up a wee bit. Maybe it will catch on and calm some of these wigged out folks a wee bit.
END OF LECTURE
RESUME NORMAL BROADCAST.........

DOR AND TOM HIT A MAJOR MILESTONE

Here is the winner of the adorable couple of the last 60 years.  Dorothy and Thomas Thomas, my cousins from Wales.  What a treat these sweet people are at the scene of their big celebratory dinner in Aberavon., Wales. It is a wonderful restaurant just near the water and a befitting backdrop in which to raise a glass to them and their love and testimony to its endurance through the year.  Vibrant as ever, they made me tired running all over the countryside during my visit.
What a very special, very loved couple.
Congratulations Dor and Tom.  You have done something most of us will never be able to do.

Joining them are their grandson Gareth and his girl friend, St. Leanne of the Internet Access on the left. On the right, Richard and Hazel, their son and daughter.  Bottom right, their granddaughter Sarah and hubby Warren looking as the heirs apparent to a like celebration in the future. Lower left, their daughter, Laurie. Hollie's photo follows with her friend.





     I would like to leave you with one last picture. No prize winner here, to be sure.  But it arrives as another seasonal sign: THE LAST ROSE OF SUMMER.  My neighbor, Paul, has a lovely yellow rose bush near his windows. Yellow roses are my absolute favorites, quite possibly since my high school graduation class carried a huge arrangement of them during our ceremony. Regardless, I adore them and the Thomas Moore poem THE LAST ROSE OF SUMMER.  It is a sad, but lovely poem which the Grateful Dead alluded to in their song BLACK MUDDY RIVER.  Moore's poem has been sung by Sarah Brightman, Charlotte Church, and Clannad as well as mentioned in ULYSSES by James Joyce. No slouch, that Tommy Moore. His mum is praaaaad, to be sure.


THE LAST ROSE OF SUMMER by Thomas Moore
'Tis the last rose of summer
Left blooming alone;
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone;
No flower of her kindred,
No rosebud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
To give sigh for sigh.
I'll not leave thee, thou lone one!
To pine on the stem;
Since the lovely are sleeping,
Go, sleep thou with them.
Thus kindly I scatter,
Thy leaves o'er the bed,
Where thy mates of the garden
Lie scentless and dead.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
From Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.
When true hearts lie withered
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit,
This bleak world alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment